5 Reasons Guys Should Do Yoga
- By Mike Patton, Founder of Yoga Vida
Despite the overwhelming number of yoga-pant-wearing women you see everywhere, yoga isn't just for women. More and more men are adopting the practice and for good reason....in fact, there are even men-only "Broga" classes popping up across the country. Mike Patton, who just a few years ago traded in his Bloomberg terminal for a yoga mat and opened Yoga Vida, one of the top yoga studios in New York City, shares 5 reasons guys should do yoga.
- These guys do it. Lebron James, Ray Lewis, Kevin Garnett, New Zealand All Blacks (check out this video!), Superbowl Champions Seattle Seahawks, San Diego Padres, Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Barry Zito, Victor Cruz, Shaquille O'Neal and so many others...You still too tough?
- Build strength. Don't be fooled, yoga aint easy. A vigorous vinyasa class will kick your a$s.
- Increase flexibility, lengthen muscles and grease joints. By increasing flexibility, yoga not only prevents injury but it can also promote recovery from high-intensity training.
- Reduce stress & calm your mind. Rough day at work? Your favorite team just lost again? Blow off some steam and calm your nerves with some yoga...your blood pressure (and everyone around you) will thank you.
- Great odds. More than 75% are women...need we say more?