How Does Madonna Stay In Shape? Her Trainer Tells Us.
Everyone knows Madonna has a killer bod, but it doesn't come without hard work, focus and discipline. Here are 5 ways that Madonna’s head personal trainer, Craig Smith, helps her stay in such amazing shape:
- Find the Time – We all have busy schedules. It takes discipline and a solid routine to help get in your workouts. Creating maximum efficiency within the framework of your daily life is essential. And proper recovery time and personal accountability is key. Madonna has always been an advocate for being active every day, finding a way to move better and sweat more despite weather, location or time. We work hard to create a schedule to consistently maintain and achieve all of Madonna’s fitness goals.
- Keep It Interesting –Seriously, switch it up. Whether you are a global pop star or your average joe, the key is to practice modalities that challenge your body in a balanced and well-rounded way. Your body responds like anything else, and can get complacent or bored with the same routine week after week. When training Madonna, I toggle between a variety of different modalities, moving from High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), Circuit or Interval Training for strength and agility, to Barre, Pilates and Yoga to promote increased flexibility and mobility, and Cardio Dance and Tabata for fluidity and rhythm.
- You Are What You Eat – There is no doubt that Madonna and I are I aware of the importance of nutrition. Regardless of how many workouts you complete, a lack of proper nutrition can have all your hard work go to waste. With Madonna, I emphasize the importance of pre and post-workout fuel and ALWAYS staying hydrated. This is really one of the key components to keeping her body functioning at an optimal level far beyond the gym and worldwide stages.
- Work It Out - To reduce the risk of injury after our rigorous workouts, along with the physical demands of her rehearsal and performance schedules, I’ve implemented bodywork therapies to keep Madonna’s body in check. She uses techniques such as myofascial release via foam rolling and massage therapy after our sessions, restoring and sustaining the ease of natural movement.
- Make it FUN -Regardless of your age or skill level, being fit and active should not have to be a chore. Find something you love. Try something new even just get outside. Empower yourself to become the best version of you and feel free to smile and laugh along the way. Insider tip: we do all the time!