Maple Glazed Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts
One of the best ways to get in your veggies is to make them super flavorful – sweet and spicy are the perfect pair. That's why we love this spicy maple glazed butternut squash and brussels sprouts dish from holistic Dietitian Jacquelyn Hackett, MS, RDN, CPT. Packed with fiber and rich in Vitamin C, it is easy to make and will be a hit at your holiday get-togethers.
1 pound brussels sprouts, stems and outer leaves removed and halved
5 cups cubed butternut squash
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Freshly ground salt and pepper
⅓ cup dried cranberries
½ cup toasted pecans or walnut halves, chopped
For those not vegan or dairy free try adding one-third of a cup of your choice of gorgonzola crumbles, blue cheese crumbles or goat cheese crumbles
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread out brussels sprouts and butternut squash.
- In a small bowl mix together the olive oil, maple syrup, garlic, cayenne and cinnamon until well combined. Pour over the brussels and butternut squash.
- Season generously with salt and pepper. Toss together then spread out evenly on the baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes then flip and roast for an additional 15 minutes until brussels turn a slight golden brown.
- Once the butternut squash and brussels are done roasting, transfer them to a large serving bowl and add in dried cranberries and toasted pecans.
- Optional: garnish with your choice of crumbled cheese.
Tip: save time by buying pre cut and chopped butternut squash