GoRecess Studio Spotlight: Inner Diva Studios; Austin, TX
Instructor and Marketing Director: Danyelle Eddy
Types of classes offered: Inner Diva Studios has one fitness room and one pole room equipped with 10 professional grade poles and offers a variety of classes - from more traditional boot camps and cardio dance classes like Zumba and Zum Fusion to the more flirty side of fitness such as chair tease, hula hoop, hip hop, burlesque and Buti Yoga, in addition to various specialty workshops, massage and nutrition.
Inner Diva's specialty is Pole Dance Fitness, offering various levels for ladies of all shapes, sizes and ages interested in developing their pole skills, as well as Pole Fit (bootcamp with the pole), and Pole Performance (pole dance choreography). In addition to being an extremely challenging physically (many have lost a lot of weight from pole dancing), it's a fun way to workout while boosting confidence, with a lot of students saying how sexy and sensual it makes them feel. We do showcases twice a year for students to perform, host special events around town, and many have gone on to compete and have even won!
Studio mission: One of Inner Diva's main goals is to open people’s minds up to pole dance fitness. It is an art and a skill, it's athletic and it’s just fun. It takes strength and courage to do anything new, especially when it has negative energy surrounding it. We want to empower women and let them know that it’s okay to feel and be sexy. It's okay to try something new and enjoy it. It’s okay to be strong inside and out. It’s okay to push boundaries. And that working out doesn’t have to be boring and that there is more to fitness than running, biking or yoga.
What makes Inner Diva unique and why you should try it: Inner Diva caters more to ladies which is important to a lot of female clients who don't feel comfortable working out in a more male-dominated environment. We occasionally have male clients, but make sure it's okay with our female clients first - it's fun because it changes things up a bit!
There is also a strong instructor-student connection, with the instructors pushing the class participants beyond their comfort zones and bringing out their sensual inner diva! Our ladies have a blast and often tell us that don’t feel like they are working out.
Danyelle's advice for first-timers:
- Come with an open mind and give it a chance, especially if you are doing pole classes. Many people have a negative mindset when it comes to pole dancing. You might a like another instructor’s teaching style or maybe you felt shy or embarrassed your first time. The more you stick with it, the more comfortable you will feel with the style and with being around others while doing it. It is not until students see the athletic skill involved that they realize it’s a legitimate way to exercise and build strength, burn calories and gain muscle memory to the point where it becomes more natural. Plus it is fun and addicting.
- Dress to your comfort level. Many of our students love the fact that they can dress a little more flirty and sexy, but you don’t have to. Regular gym attire is totally fine.
- Have fun and smile!
Danyelle's favorite Austin spots: Movies at the Alamo Drafthouse, music and dancing at The Continental Club, The White Horse, The Broken Spoke and Shangri-La for sock hop night; thrift store shopping in North Loop or South Congress; pizza at Home Slice, East Side Pies or Austin’s Pizza.
Did you know?
- Inner Diva Studios was featured on MSNBC for pole dance fitness
- Danyelle is a burlesque performer (stage name "Sweet Dee"), danced for Flo Rida and Enrique Iglesias last month, is about to shoot her first music video, almost has a full sleeve tattoo on her left arm, was in Miss Congeniality with Sandra Bullock, is a holistic practitioner, and has been on several reality shows. Wow!!
- Amber (pole, gogo, buti) recently finished filming "Generation Me" and has been in several music videos and a few movies
- Ariel (pole, chair, core) has a sister, Alethea Austin, who is a world champion pole dancer
- Brynn (pole, flexibility) won Miss Texas Pole Star 2011
- Kim (hoop, yoga, bootcamp) used to be a chick rock singer back in the day