GoRecess Studio Spotlight: MaZi Dance Fitness Centre; Chicago, IL
Owners: Marisol & Ziba (MaZi!)
What makes Mazi Dance Fitness Centre unique and why should someone try your classes? Music rules at MaZi, where we dance like no one is watching! You can reach your fitness goals in our welcoming environment, with classes to fit your schedule in a convenient location. Experience the wonderful physiological benefits of dance and focused muscular structure work taught by real ballerinas and professional dancers. We are dedicated to providing you with the highest caliber of group fitness classes with no enrollment, annual, or hidden fees.
Why dance fitness versus the gym? Look FORWARD to your workout! Most cardio equipment can be hard on your body and feels like a chore. When you’re “moving it” at MaZi, you’ll find yourself having fun, no dance experience necessary! With cardio machines your body quickly adapts to the repetitive movement, making it harder to maintain results. Dance fitness immediately carries over to your everyday life such as: better health, beautiful posture, grace, strength, conditioning, balance, and coordination. Best of all, comfort in your own skin!
What types of classes does MaZi Dance offer? We offer a broad range of cardio dance and body sculpting classes.
Our cardio classes include (High Intensity ♥ ♥ ♥, Medium Intensity ♥ ♥, Lower Intensity ♥):
- Ballerina Fight Club ♥ ♥ ♥: Combination of toning, cardio and interval training using strength moves from Ballerina Bum Bootcamp and cardio from tough boxing combinations . Get it all done in one hour, gain agility and leave feeling centered & powerful! Bring sneakers.
- Ballerina Bum LAB ♥ ♥: Focused strength & cardio class using tools & different training techniques taught by MaZi co-founders Marisol & Ziba. Sign up early, limited spots available. Bring sneakers.
- Ballerina Cardio ♥ ♥ ♥: High-energy aerobics class that will make you sweat while grooving to thumping beats. Torch calories, and get the bum that only dancing delivers.
- ZUMBA ® ♥ – ♥ ♥ ♥: Lose yourself in the beats of this international dance fusion sensation that feels more like a party, less like a workout!
- MaZi Dance Chicago Choreo ♥ ♥: Learn choreographies to a variety of styles featuring different instructors. Drop-ins with dance experience are welcome. Dances will be recorded and leveraged for performance opportunities.
- WERQ ♥ – ♥ ♥ ♥: Fiercely fun new dance fitness class based on pop, rock, and hip hop music and high energy dance steps. Burn calories and lose weight while dancing to today’s hottest music for a uniquely effective WERQ out.
- Hip-Hop Cardio ♥ ♥ ♥: Get going with intense cardio hip hop routine for the first 30 minutes, wrap it up with fun hip hop choreography to tap into your MC persona.
Our body sculpting classes include:
- Ballerina Bum LAB: Focused strength and cardio class using tools and different training techniques taught by MaZi co-founders Marisol and Ziba. Sign up early, limited spots available. Bring sneakers.
- Ballerina Bum Ball: This mat class uses a ball and your body as resistance to melt away fat, sculpt your torso, and create lean lines, improved posture and increased flexibility. Get ready to look hotter in those skinny jeans! Modifications are offered for all levels.
- Ballet Intermediate/Advanced: Ballet class for adults.
- MaZi Intro to Ballet: Frappe, tendu? Learn ballet for the very first time or take this six-week session as a refresher. You will start on the floor to learn proper body alignment, and then continue on to barre and eventually some centre. Ballet classes are typically 90 minutes; we will work up to that starting with just 60 minutes for the first few weeks. *Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested since this class is not offered all the time.
- Ballerina Bum Bootcamp: Have a Ballerina Bod in no time with an intense toning class with routines that change bi-weekly for continuous results using toning exercises from ballet technique.
- Sculpt & Stretch: Come zen after a long day of work, working out, and working it as we focus on finding the chill through tension release, flexibility, and finding the inner siren through serenity.
Why MaZi for strength conditioning? Show up, we’ll do the rest! Most strength training can be daunting to start and difficult to continue. Our muscle conditioning classes are like having a personal trainer to guide and push you, but without the cost! The beauty of MaZi is that we make it easy to incorporate both cardio and strength conditioning by offering a variety of classes that will fly by!
Advice for first-timers?
- Pick a cardio class (Ballerina Fight Club, Lab, Zumba or WERQ) to take at least twice a week.
- Pick a strength conditioning class (BBB, Skinny Jeans, Pilates Ball, Intro to Ballet) to take at least twice a week.
- Ask questions after class about form; maybe consider private training to customize classes for your body.
- Read more tips on our blog here!
Did you know? The owners are sisters who danced professional ballet and tried to quit dancing by getting an MBA or engineering degree. Four years later they quit their jobs to start MaZi in Wicker Park/Bucktown, and are getting ready to open a second location in Chicago’s South Loop!
Ready to dance like no one is watching while getting a great workout? Check out a class at MaZi Dance Fitness Centre today!