Featured Recipe: Steel Cut Oats
There are many different ways to make steel cut oats, but Adrianne Yurgosky, owner of Westside Pilates in NYC, brings us this speedy method that tastes delicious and is gluten free! Since steel cut oats take time to make on the stove (about 45 minutes), Adrianne recommends doing the prep work the night before.
The night before:
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil
- Once the water is boiling, turn the heat off and stir in 1 cup of steel cut oats for 1 minute.
- Cover the pot and refrigerate overnight.
The next morning:
- Turn the stovetop on medium heat and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from heat and serve (it normally makes 3 servings - pour the extra in a container and use it during the rest of the week)
While still hot, add the following per serving:
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 10 broken up walnuts
- 1 tablespoon of honey to sweeten
- 2 tablespoons of milk
Stir it all up and then cut a banana into slices and place on top (half of a banana works well too). Serve and enjoy!