Featured Recipe: Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie
- By Ksenia Lova, Breakfast Criminals
Even though I didn't grow up with Thanksgiving around, the cozy hominess of the Holiday takes a special place in my heart. Perhaps because it encapsulates the essence of Fall: the contrasts of cold weather and the warming spices, of going inside (physically and metaphorically) and as a result finding more connection (within ourselves and in our communities).
To me, no Thanksgiving festivity is complete without two things: a proper cranberry sauce (with secret ingredient--orange zest), and a proper pumpkin pie.
In this case, the flavor and hearty texture is more than proper--it's phenomenal, while the ingredients are carefully thought through to be whole food, gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free and non-GMO.
While any gluten-free flour will work, I experimented with sorghum--a naturally gluten free grain with neutral flavor ideal for baking. It's also a nutrition powerhouse high in protein, iron, and dietary fiber. Read more about sorghum here.
1 cup gluten-free flour (I used sorghum flour)
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1 tablespoon honey (or brown rice syrup)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 can (15oz) pumpkin (or 2 cups baked and blended pumpkin)
1/2 tbs maca
1/3 cup honey (or brown rice syrup)
1 teaspoon cinnamon & pumpkin pie spice
- Warm up the oven to 350F.
- Mix all crust ingredients well, then press the dough into a 13-inch baking pan, and bake for 15 minutes or until it the crust starts to brown.
- In the meantime, mix all the filling ingredients.
- Pour the filling into the crust and bake for about an hour, or until the filling is solid.
- Cool and refrigerate. Serve with love in your heart bowl!