6 Reasons to Try Kettlebells
If you haven't used them, by now you have probably seen kettlebells floating around your local gym or studio. They look like cannonballs with handles and are one of the most efficient training tools around. They have been used for centuries in Eastern Europe and for good reason.
Mike Chira, co-founder of Brooklyn's newest elite functional training studio Concrete Fitness (which offers a signature "Kettle to the Metal" class), shares 6 reasons to try kettlebells for your next workout.
- All-in-One Workout Tool. The unique design of the kettlebell makes it an effective tool for muscle toning, resistance training, cardio conditioning and fat loss.
- Burn Calories Fast. An American Council on Exercise (ACE) study found that the average person can burn 400 calories in just 20 minutes during a typical kettlebell workout. That's an astounding 20 calories a minute, or the equivalent of running a six-minute mile!
- Reduce Training Time. Kettlebell workouts are performed in intervals, raising the heart rate and providing a higher intensity workout than standard weightlifting.
- Encourage Functional Patterns. Nearly every drill uses multiple muscle groups working in unison, increasing strength and power, improving flexibility and balance, and building lean muscle mass.
- Add Variety. From the kettlebell swing to Turkish getup to the clean and jerk, you can perform an extensive variety of kettlebell drills to engage the entire body and keep your workouts fun, safe and effective!
- Use Them Anywhere. Kettlebells don't take up a lot of space and can be used in your home, at the gym or while traveling.